Re: Just bought a Spitfire

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just bought a Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:26:18 -0400 ()
---------- Forwarded message ----------
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Cometman wrote:

> Just bought a 1975 Spitfire for $1195.00.  It's running, but in the
> shop for a couple of U-joints, some other stuff.  The previous owner
> had it painted black which I guess is not the usual thing for this car.
> It's really pretty though.  Someday I would like to see it in its
> original yellow.

I'd vote for keeping the black if it was done well on a good, straight
body, but it's your car! :-)

> The mechanic says & the other posts on this list say that these are
> good running cars.  Is it reasonable to think I could make this my main
> vehicle (I probably drive about 100 miles a week)?

Absolutely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

> Also, are they supposed to be loud or quiet?

Fairly quiet if "stock"; perhaps TOO quiet as stock for some folks!

> I used to have an English motorcycle -- a Norton -- and I never
> developed enough skill as a mechanic to keep it on the road myself.  Is
> the Spitfire a different experience?

I can't say only because I don't know bikes. But mostly the Spitfire is a
very simple piece of equipment to maintain and repair.

--Andy