Re: Differential

To: smith007@mindspring.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:18:28 EDT
It sounds like you are talking about a TR6.  If so:
About the loosness and clunking.  Your differential mounts are probably
broken.  You have to remove the differential to see this.  If the
differential has never been removed, be VERY careful removing the nuts from
the studs.  Use only the amount of torque you can put on a short wrench or
short ratchet (no cheater bars).  The stud can shear and then you have even
more work.  (I know.  It happened to me!)  Use penenatrant.  Use heat.  Use a
grinder and cut the nut off if you need to.
As far as mount repairs, TRF sells repair parts.  I fabricated my own.  You
can too when you see it.  If you want to.
As far as the differential repair, you might just need a seal repair.  Or if
you need a differential rebuild, you can buy a rebuild.  Or Ken Rankenberger
has a good write-up on how to do a rebuild.
Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO
'74 TR6 (slowly being brought back to life)

In a message dated 6/24/99 7:58:57 AM Central Daylight Time,