Fwd: Re: Bizarre TR6 steering problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Bizarre TR6 steering problem
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 15:43:01 +0100

At 09:51 AM 7/2/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>This undoubtedy is the reason Triumph ultimately went to electronic
>tachometers in the later Spitfires. No question this was a serious safety
>issue that should have been addressed by BLMC, DOT, NHTSA, PETA....

It is fairly easy to change the tachos internals to fit an electronic tacho
in place
of a mechanical one and still maintain the visual appearance of a mechanical
Instrument.

I did this on my MK4 Spit as I wanted to fit an after market distributor in
place of
the Delco unit which was very worn.

There are plenty of electronic tachos available scrap and the front bezel
pointer
and scale from a mechanical tacho will fit with just one small modification.

That is the two small screws that hold the scale onto the instrument
internals are
rotated 90 degrees between the two instruments. New holes need to be drilled to
provide the new mountings and the old holes filled with the old screws held
in with
a dab of epoxy on the back.

My 'new' electronic tacho has been working for around two years and I no one
has
ever noticed or commented on the change.

Anyone who is interested in more information (not that there is much more to
say)
can e-mail me privately.

Best regards

John Dowson