REquest help with steering rack

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: REquest help with steering rack
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 20:47:18 -0500
Yes, I'm still trying to rebuild this thing. Finding NOS parts for this
rack has not been fun, but I found all but two parts.

Anyway, one of the last steps is to put in the steering plunger. You are
supposed to check the rack shaft for side movement (90 degrees to shaft
axis). Side movement should be within .004 and .008 inches. Adjust as
required by adding or removing shima as required.

Well, by the time you reach this step, the manual already has had you
assemble just about everything including the rack, the inner ball joints,
the rubber bellows, etc. You really can't even feel the rack shaft through
the rubber, etc. much less try and move it. Mine does not appear to move at
all.

It seems that if you put too many shims in, you don't really accomplish
anything at all, if you put too few in, you would cause undue wear and
maybe even bind the shaft. How do you move the shaft (and which way, how)
much less measure it. Absolutely none of the shaft is showing. How could
you even get a gauge on this? Am I making this too hard?