Re: Charging a stale battery

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: Re: Charging a stale battery
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:02:08 -0700
Cc: "Amatruda, Andy" <aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
For the absolute 'best', "set it and forget it" charger, get one of the
microprocessor controlled ones that charges in three stages : constant
current, constant voltage, reduced float voltage; with temperature
compensation.  They aren't cheap though, look to spend $100-$200 (US) on
one.  I posted info last month on one of several companies that make
these.  If you are interested, let me know off-list and I will send it
to you. (No financial, etc.)

For my money, I 'get by' with an ordinary 10 amp 'dumb' charger with a
simple ammeter.  (Mine was given to me because it was defective.  It was
made by Schumacher, but I don't even know if they are still in
business.)  For batteries that aren't being used, you hook up the
charger every month or three, watch for the charge rate to taper off,
and disconnect it.

However, I notice that HF is selling a 'float' charger that I intend to
investigate.  If it does in fact charge to 14.5-14.9 volts then float to
13.6-13.8 volts, it should work quite well for batteries in storage.

For a battery that is already sulphated, you can sometimes recover it by
charging for a long time at a reduced current.  One way to do this is to
put a 12v test lamp in series with a 'dumb' charger, and leave it for a
week.  If the lamp comes on, try charging the battery normally.

Randall