Re: Info on Harrisburg, PA area please

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Info on Harrisburg, PA area please
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:46:19 -0400
Kai Radicke wrote:

> Well the good news is that in PA all cars manufactured in 1974 and before
> are exempt from emissions testing when it comes time for inspection, however
> the car is still subject to safety inspection (ie., lights working, no
> excessive rust, etc).  You must have your automobile inspected every 12
> months.
>
> Not to far from Harrisburg you have The Roadster Factory, I think it is
> under a 2 hour drive from the city of Harrisburg.  As for clubs, there are a
> few clubs that cover Central PA (Central PA TR Register??), and then the
> entire state (Keystone TR Club??)and more localized clubs - I'm not much of
> a club person, so I'm not sure of the exact names of those clubs.
>
> Other LBC stuff around Harrisburg includes Tiger Tom's, a small scale
> business specializing in Sunbeam Tiger parts and sales (and perhaps
> restoration also).  And down the road from Tiger Tom's is a small privateer
> with a 25 LBC collection in his yard, which he will allow people to pull
> parts from (not free though!).
>
> Fortunately, Pennsylvania is rather saturated with LBC "stuff."  I only am
> recalling what I can from memory, and I'm sure there are plenty more places
> and discoveries in and around Harrisburg.
>
> chocks away,
>
> --
> Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu
> Only 1974 Triumph TR6 @ Ithaca College
>
> > Fellow Listers:
> > My company has offered to re-locate me to the Harrisburg, PA area.
> > Are there any list members from that area?  What type of state auto
> > inspection rigamarole do you have to put up with and how often?
> > Any British sports car clubs in general / Triumph in particular in
> > the area?
> > Knowing some of these things will help me with my decision on
> > whether or not to take the assignment.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Barry W. Fox     65 TR4A  CT51681L
> > W1HFN

Barry,

One more thing about auto inspections,  if your car is 25 years or older, you
can get
special 'antique' tags that carry a permanent registration and no anual
inspection
requirements.

While there are restrictions on usage (no daily drivers) and you must submit
photos of
the car, the state and law inforcement is pretty lax about what qualifies, so
if you
enjoy your TR as a 'second car', the antique tag may be the way to go for you.

We're about 2 hours east of Harrisburg.  Beautiful country out there.  Central
Pennsylvania Triumph Club is a very active and great club.  They have a
website, but I
can't remember the address.  Look on the VTR site for chapter clubs - you'll
probably
find it there.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars