Re: POS or NEG Ground better?

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: POS or NEG Ground better?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:02:18 -0400
Cc: Aurhtur Kelly <ArthurK101@aol.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Arthur Kelly writes:

>When I tried, in '91, to install my current AM/FM/Cassette radio I had
some
>difficulty.  When I called JVC to see if they could give me a "quick fix "
>they wouldn't even discuss it.  Their engineer told me that the radio was
for
>negative ground and that they would take no responsibility if I altered it
>for use with pos gnd.  He also said that he was prohibited from telling me
>how to alter some of the circuitry inside the radio.  I bought an inverter
>for the radio circuit and that, in effect, fooled the radio into thinking
>that the car was negative ground.  That inverter burned out last month.

When I was in college (in the 70's) I drove a 65 MGB with positive ground.
built an FM radio from Heathkit which was negative ground.  I mounted the
radio on a piece of masonite to isolate the chassis.  I also capacitor
coupled
the antenna connection.  It worked OK but I ruined the SWR on the antenna
and
the radio had terrible reception in fringe areas.

I later converted to negative ground and improved things on all fronts.
Changing
polarity is even easier when the car has no ammeter (which the MGB did
not).

I have since reformed my ways and moved up to Triumphs.

Dave Massey