ZS Damper Oil Leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ZS Damper Oil Leak
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:28:23 -0400
Cc: dsharpe@ejhs.k12.vt.us, jktr250@aol.com
Sounds like the excitement for the VTR is gearing up. Wish I could
be attending, but too close for the annual treak to the Outer Banks
and TRF Summer party.

Anyway, worked on the carbs this weekend to resolve a few issues (all
of which are taken care of except one).  As some of you may recall, I
posted
a while back about my rear carb (ZS 175 CD-2 with adjustable needle)
losing the damper oil to the point of needing to fill it up each time
I went out for a drive.  I pulled the piston and removed the needle.
Replaced the plastic seal with the after market "o" ring from TRF's
rebuild kit. Put all back together and filed up damper last night.
This morning the oil had leaked out again. Wanting to see what was
going on, removed the piston again and set in a small Mayo jar so
the lip rested on the top and allowed the piston and needle to hang
in jar.  Filed up the shaft with oil and watched. Yup, got a slow leak
coming from the seal and if I set the damper top on, thus increasing
preasure from the plunger, it increased. Just out of curriosity, did
the same with the front piston, which also has the "o" ring and
it held fine.

I have double and tripple checked the "o" ring for proper seating
and can't see anything wrong.

Could the adjusting screw, which has a "o" ring seal around the screw
be going bad, thus allowing too much oil down to the needle head and
putting too much preasure on the "o" ring for it to do its job?  The
Haynes manual says the srew is non-removable but I noticed you can
buy a replacement part through TRF. Anyone replace the adjusting
screw and securing clip, and if so, how is this done?

I am a bit baffled at this point and any fresh ideas (correct would even
be better) would be much appreciated.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6