Carb's Rebuilt and it still sputters at low RPM

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb's Rebuilt and it still sputters at low RPM
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:27:19 -0400
I had my mechanic rebuild my carbs to eliminate a rough sputter when
pulling away from a stop.  The sputter was said to be caused by lean
carbs that could not be adjusted anymore due to worn metering needles,
etc.  Prior to the rebuild, he made a temporary adjustment to the carbs
by grinding off a very slight amount of the head (opposite the point) of
the metering needles.  This temporary adjustment along with some carb
cleaner in the tank seemed to clear up the problem pretty much.  In any
event, I went ahead with a full carb rebuild (at least everything but
the jets themselves).

Now, whenever I am running at low RPM, whether pulling away from a stop
or cruising at low RPM, I get a sputter.  If I am leaning on the car and
running it at high RPM the car runs like a champ.  Its just at low RPM
that I hear and feel a sputter.

My mechanic is on vacation this week and the car will be going back when
he returns. In the meantime I would like to get a little background so I
know a little more by the time I take the car back.

I read through my Haynes manual last night but carbs are out of my
league.

Jack Radley
76TR6