Re: Dremel Wheel

Subject: Re: Dremel Wheel
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>, Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Dave Terrick wrote:

> Yes, the mesh wheels work much better!  The ones of which I speak are only
> about twice the thickness of the thin wafery ones.  They have an almost
> waffle like weave to them, and I think that is what holds them together.
> They will still break if you twist them while running, and they will also
> wear down very quickluy if you apply more pressure than the weight of the
> tool.  Otherwise,  one small disc "might" cut, say 6 1/4 or 5/16 bolts.
> Once they start shrinking in diameter they shrink fast.  However, they last
> until the end.

Daves,

I only use the Dremel cutoff when it's absolutely necessary.  I also have
some diamond wheels that come in handy from time to time.

The rest of the time, (whenever it will fit), I use the big angle grinder.
For most of my sheetmetal work I have a 3/64 cutoff wheel.  When there's
big stuff I switch to the 1/8" cutoff wheel.  The thick wheel has the
fiber reinforcement whereas the thin one doesn't.  I burn through a thin
wheel in a couple of days when going full steam.  I imagine that a full
time shop would buy them bulk, I burned out one in one session once (4
feet of cutting, and I went a bit too fast... those wheels really stink
when they burn!!)

The dremel is great for fiddly things but I would leave it alone for
anything bigger than 1/4" (unless you're REALLY patient)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm