Re: Tranny work pricing-TR6

To: diiulio@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Tranny work pricing-TR6
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:54:37 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom,

You wrote:

* how does $2300 sound for a tranny and diff rebuild, converting my
  non-overdrive tranny to an overdrive one, turnkey job? shop has
  extensive experience in triumph rebuilds and owner currently has a
  tr6 himself. the gentlemen says if i'm going this far, i might as
  well have the 2 pieces re-done while they're out and easy to get to.

Your mechanic is correct in suggesting rebuilding both units while the car
is apart.

As for pricing, it would cost you at least $500 for a rebuildable O/D
tranny, perhaps another $200 for bearings and syncros, and maybe another
$300 for labor.  I think TRF sells a rebuilt diff for around $750 plus core
plus shipping costs for core.  At this point you are at $1,750+.   Your
prices may vary slightly.

i'm willing to pay this for peace of mind and an overdrive unit IF THIS IS
FAIR PRICE!

Peace of mind has tremendous value.  It's worth a few extra bucks to sleep
will at night or not worry when cruining down the freeway at 70 mph that  a
part may go flying off the car!  Fair price?  Close.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 PI ... with rebuilt tranny and diff