VTR - Day 2 or is it 3?

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VTR - Day 2 or is it 3?
From: "Bob Danielson" <rdaniels@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:27:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Today was autocross day and Kennebunkport tour...... talk about extremes!!
This morning the stock TR3's, 4's & 6's ran and list members can be proud!
Henry Frye in his truly stock TR3...... in his first autocross ever .....
wearing a borrowed helmet (my wife asked if they disinfected the helmet
between uses!!)  smoothed his way through 3 runs to a 2nd..... or was it
third... place finish. A little later Bud Rolofson hoped in his TR6 and ran
3 great runs against stiff competition (Fat Chance Garage has a seriously
fast stock TR6). While he didn't place, he looked great and entertained the
crowd by spinning the 6 in one of the corners. And it was a corner where he
was headed straight at us.

We headed down to Kennebunkport, toured the shops, had lunch, drove by Ex
Pres Bush's place but it was too foggy to see anything and then got back in
time for the Spits and the modified crowd. Andy Mace in his highly modified
full race Spit made it part way through his first run when the car up and
died. The Prez was then pushed back to the "pits" and repairs began. Simple
problem...... no fuel being delivered to the carbs. Next thing I know, Brad
Kahler's under the hood cleaning parts..... something clogged the fuel line
completely. A little air pressure blew it all out and Andy was off to the
races....... man does he fly. His main competition came from the highly
modified TR4 of the ....... once again..... Fat Chance Garage. Fast, loud,
flat in the corners...... driven by our mail list keeper Mark B. and his
buddy Chris.I left before the final results were posted but list members
Andy and Mark HAD to have the top 2 positions. Other listers in the Spit or
modified group were Ken Streeter, Keith Erlich, Ralph Jannelli and Jack &
Susan Brooks.... Susan had the seat as far forward as it would go and drove
that beautiful TR3 through 3 perfect runs.

Two interesting participants of note: Last night I was reading this month's
Grassroots Motorsports that has an article about a beautiful 1960 TR3 that
has had the same Canadian owner for 20 years who's restored it twice......
once for concurs and last year as highly modified. I turned around this
afternoon and there it was. Real nice guy..... fast car..... he did OK. The
other car of note was a full race SCCA TR8 that had to be seen to be
believed. When he started it up we thought Jeff Gordon had pulled in in his
NASCAR whatever. Can you say unmuffled and LOUD. It looked fast. It sounded
fast. It ran like S*#T. One run and onto the trailer, never to be seen
again. I guess he runs SCCA road courses and it just wasn't set up to run
autocross.

Tomorrow....... the field and the concurs.

Oh yea...... Dan Masters stayed close to home today..... cruised the greater
Portland area and walked the town. Fred Thomas said Dan is finally tired.

Bob Danielson....... pictures on my web site by next weekend!