Speedometer and Tire Size

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedometer and Tire Size
From: "Bob Danielson" <rdaniels@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 07:47:21 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I'm currently running 185/70s on my TR6. On the trip up to VTR and back my
wife was in the family car following me, registering a very different speed
from what I was showing.... I'd be cruising at 70 only to find out it was
more like 60 - 63 on her speedometer. We had the same problem when following
VTR directions for various events that would have you zero your tripometer
and then go 4.8 miles and turn right........... even with the tripometer I'd
register a higher reading ....... maybe 5.0 instead of 4.8 miles. So I'm
guessing that I'm consistently high by 10 - 15% or so. How will tire size
affect this error? Will a 60 series (lower profile) make it worse? Going to
a 205 shouldn't matter as they're only wider.... right? I know that
re-calibrating the speedo is another answer but first I need new tires.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 - current status at
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD