Some suggestions for those of you who love your TR's

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some suggestions for those of you who love your TR's
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:00:24 -0500
The good news is that I still have my TR6, and that I was able to drive it
home to Highland Park, IL from Portland, ME and the VTR Convention.

The bad news is that it is finished for the year. At least I got to drive
it to VTR and back.

I am the original owner of a 74 TR6. The only thing I have had resembling
an electrical problem with this car in all of these years was with blown
fuses, which turned out to be caused by the left rear marker lamp burning
out and the bulb shorting.

About 10 years ago, a friend of a friend had his TR6 catch fire while
parked. This (as well as the general reputation of the Prince of Darkness
and the fact that the car wasn't getting any younger) concerned me, and as
a result, I installed a master power switch in my car, the same switch that
is required in race cars.

Sunday night, while driving in western NY state on the way home from VTR, I
smelled smoke and the dash lights went out. I pulled over, turned off the
ignition and the headlight switch, and the dash lights came on and the
burning continued. It was totally black out. I would have had to root
around under my luggage in the truck to find my tool bag, locate the
correct size wrench, pop the hood, and disconnect the battery in total
blackness and in a panic while my beloved 6 was burning up. Not a good
scenario. The master switch stopped the burning and may have saved my car.

So for those of you who like me, plan to keep your TR's forever, I STRONGLY
suggest you install some kind of easily accessible emergency power
disconnect in your car. Even you Concours guys. You may lose a point or 2
in judging, but it might save your car.

Also, I have never carried a flashlight in my car because I always have a
12v flourescent trouble light in the boot. Now I know I need both.

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations on the how to of installing a new
wiring harness graciously accepted.

Sure was a GREAT Convention.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U (no turn signals, hazards, or tail lights, temporarily
wired brake lights, but no scorched body panels)
TR4A CT52499 VSCDA Group 2 #58
Highland Park, IL