Re: Cummins Bulletin....

To: Vincent C Porto <VPORTO@mail.aai.arco.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cummins Bulletin....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:20:09 -0600
Vincent C Porto wrote:

> Mike;
> Please let me know where I can get more information on the Cummins bulletin.
>
> Many thanks in advance,  I am now running the orange 'long-life' from
>Prestone.
>   Been in the car for 6 months without any problems - but your note raises my
> concern!

Again, it depends upon the composition of the coolant you're using. Some
of the light automotive "long life" coolants may only have a bigger load
of corrosion inhibitors.

The bulletin which I mentioned specifically referred to "Texaco Extended
Life Coolant" (TELC), which, thus far, is only marketed to commercial
fleets, but the warning was for any coolant of that composition.

However, since new compounds sometimes go on the market without
long-term testing, it's possible that one of the more common brands
available to the general public has an organic acid composition. For you
to be certain, see if you can get either a spec sheet or an MSDS from
the manufacturer's web site.

I just checked Prestone's site, and they don't have any quick means of
getting an MSDS (which would describe composition), but they do state in
the FAQ section of the site which specs the coolant meets:

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 meets the
                        chemical and physical property
                        requirements of:
                        GM 6277M
                        ASTM D3306
                        ASTM D4985
                        SAE J1034
                        General Services Administration CID
                        A-A-870A
                        Ford ESE-M97B44-B
                        CSMA

                        It also meets the performance
                        requirements of:
                        ASTM D1384
                        ASTM D4340
                        ASTM D2570

I'll have to check, but one of the required specs in the Cummins
bulletin was ASTM D3306, I believe. I will check tomorrow for the
complete recommended list of specs and compare them against the above.

Cheers.