TR3A front engine plate & leakage?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A front engine plate & leakage?
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:36:56 -0400
Hello List:
Have the pan off my motor and noticed some antifreeze in the cavity at the
front of the motor, just above and in front of the front bearing. The oil
did not show signs of water contamination, but the engine has been sitting
for some time.  Needless to say became quite concerned how it got there. No
visible clues - all sleeve bases looked good and dry.  I did take the water
pump off as well and wondering if any antifreeze could have run down the
front of the block and past the front plate and gasket seal into the engine
cavity.  Have never had the front plate off.  How "tight" is the plate to
block seal?  Is it possible for leakage at this point?
Any insight into this and possible origin of the leak would be very welcome!

Really enjoyed the VTR pictures.  Sure looked as if a great time was had by
all!

Many thanks,
Angelo Graham
1959 TR3A