Re: One cycling light pod... Help!

To: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Subject: Re: One cycling light pod... Help!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 11:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: 1-TR8-list <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Odd Hedberg wrote:

> But! A very strange phenomenon has turned up, and I don't know
> if it's something related to the crash, the repair - or my work
> in the electric system: When I crank the engine to start it the
> left light pod starts cycling up and down... [The crash damage,
> and repair work was on the right side.] Not the right one, just
> the left one. It returns/stops in the down position as soon as
> I let the key return from the Start position to Ign On position.

Sounds to me like a ground fault- check the chassis ground straps, the
battery ground straps, and the headlight ground straps.  Also check the
starter motor wires (just for fun).  You're pushing a lot of electricity
through the system when starting, if it can't get out one way it will take
another.

Also check the solenoid wires, maybe one is hooked up wrong and is sending
power to the headlamp dipper when you start.

...Does the lamp light up, or is it just the bucket that flips up & down?

I had a problem with my rear lights that was a bit similar (things
flashing  when they shouldn't), it was a poorly seated taillight in my
case, but there was other problems with the (lack of) proper grounding.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm