RE: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: RE: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:53:38 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brian,

If you think you might ever want to mount disk or mag wheels, get spacers,
don't cut the studs.  My studs were cut before I got the car and there is no
going back, without the difficult job of replacing the rear studs.  Been
there, living it, got the Tee shirt, wishing I had the longer studs and
spacers for the wire adapters, but not quite enough to do the job.

I know Revington TR has the spacers (about $10 each, I think).  Ken
Gallanders of British Frame and Engine may have them too.  I believe a 0.25
inch thick spacer is all that is required.

I use a combination of never-seize and synthetic disk brake grease (50-50)
on my splines, although many lubes will work.  Also, I have found that a
very thin smear of RTV over the spoke ends, inside of the hub, before
balancing, will reduce the tendency for excess grease, slime, etc., to
travel outward on the spokes, reducing the cleaning required.

You can save yourself some trouble by calling around to find a shop with a
wire wheel adapter for their balancing machine, before going to the shop.
Most shops don't realize they can't do it without the adapter, because the
pickup points on the hub don't match their machines.  If your favorite shop
wants to try, make sure after they balance it, they rotate the wheel 180
degrees and spin it again.  It will be out of balance again, and again, and
again, etc.

Enjoy those new wheels,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A