Re: Terrible engine noise -- need diagnosis help

To: econrad@teal.csn.net
Subject: Re: Terrible engine noise -- need diagnosis help
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:46:01 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Eric,

The oil presure numbers are really low. Especially the high rpm one.  I am a
TR4 guy but I agree with the other guys that you must have considerable bearing
wear.  I had numbers like that but 10 higher and when I rebuilt the engine over
the winter I found very worn rod bearings and only slightly less worn main
bearings. Some PO had changed all the bearings he could get at from the bottom
oil pan to extend engine life but the worn crank quickly caused excessive wear
and low oil pressure.  I also found the rocker arm shaft to be badly worn which
leaks off oil pressure even more.

However, with all that said, I chased a noise on my engine all last summer and
ended up pulling and rebuilding.  Only to find the cause of the banging noise
to be a separated right front engine mount that banged under torque load.  The
rear mount was all mushy to add to the problem.  If I had not rebuilt the
engine I would have surely progressed to the worn bearing noises very soon so
it turned out for the best.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
sanborn@net1plus.com