Re: Spit Oil Pan Question

To: Chip19474@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spit Oil Pan Question
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:18:58 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Chip19474@aol.com wrote:

> Listees and Listettes:
>
> There is a short pause in oil pressure build up when I start the Spit after
> it sets for a few days.  Some slight bearing noise but all is well after
> about 2 seconds and oil pressure stays good throughout all temps (10W-40 -
> with 20W-50 it's more like 3 to 4 seconds).
>
> The oil pan has been crushed by POs supporting the engine incorrectly whilst
> replacing/removing the transmission.  Is the oil pan pickup close enough to
> the bottom of the sump that it might be partially restricted by the crunched
> pan metal?  I thought about dropping the pan, cleaning the pump screen and
> perhaps buying a new pan but it seems that Spit Oil Pans aren't catalog items
> with the regular suppliers....Moss, Spibits, etc.
>
> If my theory is no good, I can live with the "bearing noise" and I'll leave
> the pan in place....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chip Krout
> '76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
> '70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (Fun Driver)

Chip,

If the inlet to the pump were restricted, I'd expect cavitation at the pump -
which
would show up as erratic oil pressure - especially at higher RPM.  Sounds more
like
the oil galleries are draining back - what type and number filter are you
using?  The
way the filter mounts with the head at a downward angle means that a drainback
valve
is very important.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars