RE: TR3 Starter misfires

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Starter misfires
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:15:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Scion,

Sorry I let this issue go so long without thanking or answering, but work
keeps getting in the way of my TR time.  As you may recall, my TR3A's
starter pinion gear very rarely engages the ring gear on the first attempt,
but almost always does, very effectively, on the second attempt.

Listed below are the solutions to the consistently non-meshing starter which
were proposed:

1. Weak battery  (Nope, my ten year old interstate will still crank till the
cows come home)

2. Rubber bendix (Nope, I have the later starter, without the rubber Bendix)

3. Lubrication (Nope, everything was cleaned and dry lubed)

4. Electrical Connections and grounds  (Nope, all were cleaned and
reinstalled with the new engine installation and it cranks great on the
second attempt)

In looking over the Moss catalog, I noticed that shims are available for the
starter/engine interface. I wonder if the pinion may not be meshing fully
and slipping off the ring gear.  With any luck, I'll have my fully syncro
tranny ready to mate up with the OD by the spring and I'll be back in the
bellhousing.  The dry lube will show the wear pattern of the pinion on the
ring gear (everything was sprayed).  If the pinion isn't hitting the ring
gear fully, it will be obvious.  I'll let y'all know then.

Thanks,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando