Re: TR-6 Gauge Seals

To: GGanoung@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR-6 Gauge Seals
From: Joseph J Burlein <tr6guy@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:48:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
To remove the speedo and tach, no you don't have to remove the dash.  To
remove the others, yes you do.  It is rather easy I've found out.  Just
take the speedo and tach out.  Then take out the five screws holding the
dash in.  Unhook the wires from your four small gauges.  (label the
wires!)  Pull them out.  The bezels should just twist off.  Mine where
stuck in place because the rubber inside melted.  I ended up taking a
very small screw driver and gently prying up (just a little) the three
little tabs that hold the metal in place.  If you move them up just a
little you should be able to twist off the bezels.  The problem I found
was that bits of the paint came off from under the bezel.  No big deal
except for possible future rust.  The problem on two of mine was that the
rubber sort of oozed around the 10 and 2 positions on the gauges making
little wavey patterns on the face.  (If anyone knows how to remove that
let me know.  I tried rubber alcohol with no success)  Someone on the
list suggested using Pledge to wipe the gauges down (blow off the dust
first!).  Works great.  From driving position, they look brand new.  Oh,
I used Rust-olem Satin Black (7777 I think) to paint the bezels.  Looks
great.  Good luck.

Joe

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:17:20 EDT GGanoung@aol.com writes:
> Im very interested in the process youve gone thru to remove the gages
> seals,
> glass, etc.  Did you have to remove the dash?  My gages on my 74 TR6
> are
> looking pretty sad and in need of some upgrade.  Though they all
> work fine,
> they just look bad.

Joe Burlein
72 TR-6
Melbourne, FL

Real cars are designed to carry only two people, anything else is just a
bus.