Re: Update on:More questions on charging -TR3A

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Update on:More questions on charging -TR3A
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:44:20 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks again to Randall Young, Ed Woods, Brian Kemp, Michael Porter, and
Fred Thomas for your valuable insights.

I found and repaired, I hope, many problems trying to isolate the root
cause.  I guess most of them were unrelated.  Today I replaced the
generator, this was Fred Thomas' suggestion - I didn't replace the voltage
regulator, at least not yet.  This seems to have fixed the problems. It now
charges at 15+ for a few moments when first started, then will settle down.
Still getting swings in the ammeter, but now only at 1500 rpm and it seems
to be just on the + side of the gauge. At greater than 1200, it seems pretty
constant at a few amps above center, at less than 1200 it starts going
towards the discharge side.   From all the input I received, this is all
normal and correct, so I am declaring victory.

I also took the battery back to COSTCO, no questions, 60% refund, and
bought another battery.  (BTW, they now have there own Kirkland brand
instead of EverReady, but the amazing thing was that they actually listed
TR3's in the catalog.)

While installing the new battery, I noticed that the positive cable clamp
was
split.  I know what you are thinking, but I had tried to charge the old
battery with
both cables removed, and that didn't take either.

Removed every suspect wire under the hood, replaced connectors, cleaned up
contacts.  Then I started looking under the dash.  Found that
where the wiring harness comes around the battery box, it had worn through
the wrapping and 3 wires were seriously exposed.  Something we all should
keep an eye on.

I also discovered while replacing the generator that the DPO had conviently
forgot to replace the bottom front mounting bolt and spacer.  I used a piece
of copper pipe to make a new spacer (all I had).

Well I think I just avoide about three road side emergencies. Thanks again
for all the help,
Bob