Two New Drive Shafts or a Used Complete Axle/TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Two New Drive Shafts or a Used Complete Axle/TR6
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:16:49 -0400
Took my newly bought '75 TR6 to a  great  mechanic (working on Brit cars
since '66 or before) who did wonders on setting the engine and carbs up
well.  But the bad news was that the occasional "clonk" is due to my
splines on both drive shafts being severely worn, so bad that one of
these days the little red devil TR6 is going to just stop and will be
unable to move.

My question is whether it is smarter to bite the bullet and buy some of
those new drive shafts through Moss for about $250 each and $500 total
along with accessories???  Or is it smarter to search out a complete
used axle with drive shafts that are not so worn for a lot less money???
Or, is a complete used axle and used drive shafts in good shape also
going to cost a bit too??  If  after I buy new drive shafts and install
them, is there a chance I will have to replace the older
differential/final drive unit  soon after?

In a drive shaft conundrum! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Triumph Novice,  D. Michael