RE: Leaky Mocal filters

To: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Subject: RE: Leaky Mocal filters
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:02:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I installed the Mocal spin-on filter adapter today, on my TR3A.  I am
> seeing a leak around the outer rim of the adapter, where it seals
> inside the groove that the old cartridge filter holder sat in.
> The adapter is bottoming out on the inside O-ring, just like its
> supposed to, but the outer gasket that was supplied is evidently not
> thick enough to seal correctly.  Seems to me that someone had a
> similar problem recently, and found the perfect gasket somewhere
> or other.  I've searched the archive but can'rt find any mention
> of this.  Can anyone help me with this?  TIA!

Michael,

I've got the same problem.  For the short term, I added a piece of 0.050
thick wire in the groove under the gasket.  This tightened it up but it
still leaks a little bit.  I will be looking for an O-Ring kit to make up
either a replacement O-Ring or a spacer.  I'm also checking out a
replacement flat seal like the one Mocal supplied, but have not had success
yet.

One other solution is to go through the pile of old cartridge seals looking
for one that might be just a little bit bigger one or to cut two old
cartridge filter seals (it's the same seal) almost in half, so the two are
slightly larger than one.

Bottom line.... you are not alone, and we don't have an answer yet.  At
least not that I know of.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando