RE: TR6 hotter after fluid transfusion

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 hotter after fluid transfusion
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:35:05 +0100
>Having owned my 74.5 TR6 a little over two months, I finally got around
>to exchanging the slurry of unknown content in my rad with something I
>know the contents of.  All other vital fluids have been replaced.
>
>To get to the point quickly, before replacing the rad coolant, the car
>used to run just under the half mark on the temp guage.  Now after
>draining, running water through the rad for 5 minutes (not a flushing,
>just running water from a garden hose) and refilling with clean coolant,
>the car runs at about the 5/8 temp scale, hotter than before.  If
>sitting at an extended red light, it can even approach the 3/4 mark!
>
>Any guesses as to what I may have done wrong or what I can do to fix
>this?
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, first of all, some coolants have different properties of cooling so it
might be that the new one is worse than the old one. Then you could have an
airbubble somewhere, did you put the coolant back in with the heater tap on
open?
You could as well try the stuff thats called, erm what was it wetter water ort
something? Suppoesed to improve the cooling as well. Then tyou might heave
blown your head gasket of course, just by chance occurring when you changed
your coolant...
Cheers,

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280