Chromed or Stainless Brakes Better?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Chromed or Stainless Brakes Better?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:03:12 EDT
Hi List,
I want to replace the four pistons in my TR4 brake disc calipers as they are
35 years old and well rusted outside the bore seal and rust is working inward.
I never saw chrome look so good (on the intact part) and imagine that is why
the seals works so well. I am a little dubious of the finish on the stainless
pistons (can't imagine it is as smooth as this chrome).
Anyone compare the two pistons (chrome vs stainless) side by side?
In another 35 years I will be 78 (and maybe too rusty myself to drive) so I
am tempted to go chrome for the best sealing properties and they're a little
cheaper too.
Any counter opinions on this? And are some vendors known for better pistons
than others?
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74