TR6 engine rebuild

To: Trimumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 engine rebuild
From: Steve <wsteve@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:53:56 -0700

I'm about to embark on the third engine rebuild of my SO's beloved TR6, in
order to, hopefully, not have to do it a fourth time I am seeking any an all
suggestions/advice about rebuilding. I also have some specific questions. I
need to keep the engine fairly stock as it has to pass the Calif emmisions
tests for the next 5 years.

As some may remember, last week I posted that the rear thrust washer had
wornout and fallen into the pan. Found out that a maintenance manual (not
the TR6  Repair and Operation Manual, or else I missed it) says to check the
end float at certain intervals, does anyone know what manual this is and
where I can get a copy?

Also what does one do if the cam journals are worn?
Last time I rebuilt this POS engine I found out there are no cam bearings,
do the journals not wear?

Other than installing a Japanese or American engine  is there anything else
I can do, while I have the engine out for a rebuild, to either increase_
reliability_ or  performance  and still allow me to pass Calif emissions
testing?

I have already contacted Henmann Van Den Ackker about a second thrust washer
half being installed on the rear main bearing cap..

Can the head be milled to increase compression and if so how much needs to
be milled?

Thanks again, I reallly appreciate all the help so far.

Steve Wilkinson