Re: TR-250 PCV Valve

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-250 PCV Valve
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 18:55:31 +0600
Frank J. Angelini Sr. wrote:

> I recall when our TR-250 was first restored, there would be a significant
> rise in idling rpm if I opened the oil fill cap on the valve cover.  I
> noticed recently that there is no detectable change now.  What might cause
> this and is it serious?

Wow, finally a question I might be able to answer!  This is so cool!

AnYhoW, this is from a BL service division training memo entitled "Crankcase
Emission Valve" (read, PCV valve) (for the TR6; the 250 should be similar, no?):

"In order to check that the valve is functioning normally, remove the oil
filler cap with the engine at idling speed.  There should be a notable change
in idle speed.  If there is no change in idle speed, the valve could be faulty.

"Difficult starting or uneven idle speed could indicate excess air passing
plate [part of the PCV] valve into inlet manifold.  Examine unit for correct
assembly and check that diaphragm is not punctured."

(This doc covered the Spit Mk3, GT6+ & TR6, which oughta date it for ya.)
--
--Doug

Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.