Re: frame off

To: <Crazeecooter@aol.com>
Subject: Re: frame off
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 07:45:17 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
    I can offer some advice. i'm almost to the re-assembly stage with my 76
tr6 and have some experience with what you're about to do.
    as you correctly stated, interior has to come out. ultimately you'll be
disconnecting all dash instrumentation so get lots of little stick-on labels
for all the lines. your goal will be to lighten the body as much as possible
to make the removal easier on the tub and safer for you.
    start saving small boxes, jars, etc. for all the misc parts and pieces.
I haven't done a good job of that and am about to pay for it dearly. once
interior is stripped, remove tunnel covers and gas tank. you can also pull
off the wings (front fenders) to check for a notorious rust problem that
occurs where the cowl vent drains into the innerwalls of the fender. of
course bonnet and deck lids must go.
    bumpers, brake lines, steering column are all removed or disconnected.
VERY IMPORTANT--leave the doors on (my preference) or brace across the door
openings with angle iron or 2x4's. you cannot lift the tub without danger of
collapsing it on itself if you don't brace this opening. windscreen comes
off, sure hope yours comes out as easy as mine did.
    engine, tranny and running gear stay put until body is off. you do have
to remove the carb systems and intake manifold for the inside fender walls
to clear as you lift it. radiator comes off along with all connecting hoses.
disconnect fuel and clutch lines.
    the following is the best advice on this whole subject! BUILD A ROLLING
RACK OUT OF WOOD TO PLACE THE BODY ON. mine stood about 40" tall and allowed
me to roll the body around when I wanted to work on the chassis. it fit over
the rolling chassis so it only took up 1 spot in the garage. I've got
digital pix if you'd like to see my setup.
    also, bought a 1-ton hoist (chain pulley type) for $35 bucks and it's
the best money I've spent in a long time. handled the body and engine like a
champ, safely and easily. braced it into the garage rafters and away we
went!
    I've used the trf catalogs, haynes tr6 manual, and bentley for reference
and
would strongly recommend you getting these. ebay is a source for the haynes
manual as it is out-of-print.
    these are general comments I can offer from memory. for more specific
info, pls don't hesitate to write or call.
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
(body at painter's, tranny in texas, frame sitting home buck-naked!)
Denver, Co
303-683-7268