Re: wanting a Jag/Vintage racing weekenda Jag owner")

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wanting a Jag/Vintage racing weekenda Jag owner")
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:29:53 -0400 (EDT)

> There's an appeal to the cars which can't entirely be explained. A
> portion it, certainly, is styling--the cars are wonderful to look at,
> and some of it, for aficianados, is the promise, not always the reality,
> of blood and guts performance. If there are masculine and feminine cars,
> the Jag is most assuredly a masculine car, regardless of the gender of
> its owner.

I was at Watkin's Glen this weekend for the Zippo Vintage Grand
Prix, and the car that got the loudest cheer was a white Jaguar DHC.  I
think it was an XK 150, but not sure.  Won its race handily, and the
crowd was behind it from the start.

It was a beautifully done car, with superb handling and speed, and showed
the rest of the grid how a British car should be restored and raced.

All in all, an enjoyable weekend.  In the small bore class, spits came
1,2,3.  There were some nice TR3s  and 4s, but no 6s racing.  The most
unusual Triumph was a 'Tornado',  a fibreglass model with TR3 engine,
beautifully restored.  Also, spits and GT6s.  Of course, there were some
beautiful MGs, Healeys, Loti, etc. and a lot of nice British racing
machines.

Two unusual cars - a mini with a giant wind-up key on the boot lid, and a
Fiat Abarth that ran with the boot lid open (if it's a rear engined car,
do you call the rear lid the boot or bonnet lid?).

I saw a T shirt that had a good message on it - "Some people collect art,
we race it".

Lots of fun, and loads of LBCs on and off the track.  Didn't see any
Triumph mail list stickers on windshields, though :-).  Would have been
nice to say hello.

Off to Bronte Creek next Sunday - September always is a good month for
events.

Cheers,

Robert Carley
73TR6