Re, stuck in reverse.

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re, stuck in reverse.
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:52:27 -0400
Cc: Tom Parker <parkert@ihug.co.nz> charset=ISO-8859-1
>Could the overdrive have suddenly engaged?

Do the forward gears seem the same or do they feel as though everything
is one gear higher?  Maybe the OD only just now got stuck.

>Is overhaul, or at least inspection, of the overdrive covered in the
haynes
>manual? I read somewhere in the archives that it is full of big springs
and
>should be taken apart in a press, presumably to stop them flying everwhere
>when the last bolt pulls the last turn of thread?

No, not necessary.  There are four springs in the OD and they will become
uncompressed as you back off the nuts on the two long studs.  Once you
reach the ends the springs will be slack.  Taking it apart is easy.
Putting
it back together is another story.  One trick we learned is to assemble
it up side down (ie: mount the OD with the output shaft down and the OD
clutch will remain engaged and the two splines (Sun gear and the one way
clutch) will stay aligned (assuming they were aligned to begin with)).  But
I am getting ahead.

>- --
>Tom Parker - parkert@ihug.co.nz

Dave Massey