Re: GT6 OD question

To: "Edward Hamilton" <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 OD question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:14:28 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I'm going to take a peek at a '72 GT-6 later this week.  According to the
>current owner, during a telephone converstaion, he claims the OD to be a "J"
>type.  When I responded that I thought the GT-6 to have been fitted with a
>"D" type, he tells me that he had it specially built??
>What am I going to look at here -- what "other" tranny/OD's would fit in a
>GT-6?
************************************
There is no magic here.  I have a "J" type in my 70 GT now.  The OD
mainshaft is common with the Spit , as well as the adaptor and the mounting
plate (and in fact you could get at one time, rebuilt GT6 trannys with "J"
type overdrive mainshafts from Victoria British). You just have to find the
CORRECT frame to tranny mounting plate that was only used for a few years.
Driveshafts would also interchange, so nothing would have to be
fabricated/modified.  You just have to select the right parts from the part
bins.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)