Re: SU drippings, part II

To: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: SU drippings, part II
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Rob Christopher wrote:

> I took the jets apart to check on the condition of the o-rings and they
> all looked OK to me.  Put them back together (couldn't find replacements

O-rings usually fail by getting lots of tiny cracks around the perimeter.
You might have bad ones that look OK on inspection but leak when
compressed.

> So listers, what is next?  I want to change those o-rings for sure but I
> want to ask where the actual sealing occurs.  The reason I ask is that
> the top of the jet mechanism, the jet bearing (part #91 in the Moss TR4
> catalogue for those who want to play along), has a notch on either side
> of it.  One of the o-rings is above that notch and the other is below.
> Doesn't that mean that gas can leak out there and run down the outside

Probably- is there any obstruction within the jet bearing?  Another
gasket, perhaps?

> of the jet?  If this is my failure mechanism, does that mean the level
> of gas in the jet is too high so my floats are too high?  I ask this
> because the float bowls are not level for my TR6 application, they slope
> downwards towards the side of the car, away from the engine.  I can only
> assume on a TR3 or 4 that they are level and that the throttle bodies
> themselves angle upwards when on the intake manifold.
>
> With the jets apart, I also noticed the little spring that pushes the
> little o-rings apart are in quite bad shape.  Rusty and weak.  I also
> couldn't get an easy replacement for those.  What purpose to they serve
> anyway?  Would replaceing those with new, presumably stronger, springs
> solve this problem.

On my H6s (with cork gaskets, that don't leak... yet), the spring goes
between the two and has 2 little metal "flares" that sit on the ends of
the spring.  The flares squash the cork outwards to seal on the outer edge
of the shaft, and there's another flare on the castings / fittings that
squash the cork inwards to seal against the jet.

You may be missing the little washers, although I'm not certain they are
required unless you use cork gaskets.

New springs should help, too.  Did you measure them side-by-side to see if
one was shorter?  If so, they're probably both too short (worn out),
especially if rusty.

> As it stands now it looks like the TR6 stays in the garage and I'll have
> to take the parts hauler (Integra) to Bronte this Sunday.  I'll no doubt
> be looking for those nasty little parts there, but can someone give me
> some hints if I'm on the right track?

I suggest you take a photo of your car, and take it to a color photocopy
place, enlargements are only $2 or so.  Then tape the picture to your
back, and the car will be there in spirit...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm