RE: mechanical temp gauges / classic car question

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: mechanical temp gauges / classic car question
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 07:59:56 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Many thanks to the listers who replied about my two recent questions.

Apparently the temp gauge if mechanical does continue to show the temp even
after the car is shut down. (Could this be a clue to the potential
thief/vandal that the owner has just parked for a dinner/movie/etc and thus
won't be coming back to their car for a while?).

And the "strange bolt pattern" wheels are apparently common to VWs and
Porsches of that era.

Just to tie these two together, I noticed the 356 Porsches have minimal
instruments compared to TR6s. Only speedo, tach, fuel and oil temp gauges.
Not sure if the latter is mechanical or electrical but suspect electrical
due to the length of capillary required (rear engine). It just dawned on me
that until about 98 (99?) all 356 derived cars (such as the 911) would not
have a "normal" temp gauge -- no coolant!.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO