Re: 70 spit battery not charging

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: 70 spit battery not charging
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:44:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Ken :

Have you tried polarizing the generator ?

After that, try disconnecting the wires at the generator, and connecting
the generator terminals together directly.  Measure the voltage from the
terminals to ground (preferably on the generator case) as you (slowly)
increase speed from idle.  If you don't get 12 volts by 1500 rpm (don't
let the voltage rise above 15 volts), then your generator is defective.
If you do get 12v in this configuration, but the voltage is still 1.25
with the wires connected, then you either have a bad regulator, or a
short/open in the wiring from the generator to the regulator.

Note that, until the cutout closes, the regulator should have the
F(field) and D(armature) terminals connected together (less than 2 ohms)
with a fairly high (over 100 ohms) resistance to ground.  You can check
this with a ohmmeter, with the regulator disconnected from the wires.

Randall