Re: Commer - lbc camper?

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Commer - lbc camper?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Peter C. wrote:

> To add a little bit here. Think of Commer (as in commercial, not sure if
> that's why, though) as kind of the GMC of Chevy. Mostly trucks and the
> like. The campers were also in the US and some are in the Ohio-Indiana
> area. They were sold as Funwagons and I believe Bluebird (of bus fame and
> in IN) was somewhat responsible in the mid-60s. Fully equipped with beds,
> stove, etc.

They had one at the car show I went to last sunday.  Commers have a
Westfalia-ish pop-top roof.  It goes up on stilts and has 'bellows' to
bridge the gap between the roof cap and the actual roof.  Bet it leaks ;-)

They also had a Triumph van!  It was just a rebadged Standard Atlas, but I
think it also had camping gear in it.  I took a few pictures, but it will
take a while for me to get them developed.

-Malcolm (Wish I could get an Atlas pickup...)
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm