TR4 Hub Assembly Dissassembly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Hub Assembly Dissassembly
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 01:55:06 EDT
<<It looks like The "Greenman" (my TR4) may need an outer axle seal... Apart
from merely getting the hub assembly apart (a deed that has povoked may
tears over the years), is there anything I should be aware of  prior to
doing the job?>>
Greg
I had leaking differential oil into my rear brake linings back around 1983
and after some sad times trying to use a commercial rental puller and
mangling my lug bolts and rearranging some parts of my knuckles and starting
a small fire I reluctantly searched and found an almost retired Jag
mechanic/machinist in San Francisco (about a 60 mile round trip for me).  He
was the only guy who would take this job  ... and after he did the job ... he
said he would never do another TR hub again! He used a lot of fire, heavy
equipment and sweat and I believe some old German cursing. After he got the
hubs off he had to put them in the lathe to straighten them out again and put
in all new lug bolts. While it was all apart it made sense to put in new
bearings too ... I hope I never have to visit those seals again!.
I guess my advice is (save your body parts!) and look for someone with heavy
equipment and fire power and brute strength... and lathe experience might be
needed. I paid $250 for his labor and delivered just the dissassembled shafts
with stuck hubs and also supplied the new parts.
good Luck
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74