ignition problems

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition problems
From: gspens <gspens@one.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:13:27 -0500
Well, as I have been tooling around in my "parts TR6" most of the summer
opting to do the engine swap this winter, I have run into a problem.  I
have been running the restored TR6 about one a week, easily, as the rods
are knocking, and I envision rebuilding this engine if it isn't too bad.

    The problem, the 73 (restored, bad engine) sat for about two weeks
with out being run.  On the last drive, she was fine, and every thing
behaved normally.  Now she won't start.  I pulled the choke, the engine
catches, putt putts and dies no mater how hard I pump nor what position
the pedal is in.  I checked the plugs, they are fine, I sprayed some
WD-40 in the dizzy to make sure no moisture got in, I managed to flood
the carbs, so I assume the fuel pump is working.  The linkage is fine,
the dampers seem ok, the diaphragms are ok.  I haven't removed the
carbs, but everything seems to be ok.  I'm guessing it's an electrical
problem, but what would just sitting for two weeks do to cause this?
All the dizzys electrical connections are connected, nothing has been
changed, I'm puzzled.  unfortunately I'm having a new garage built (not
unfortunately for getting a new garage <g>), and need to be able to move
the 73 under her own power, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Graham Spencer

70 TR6 Running but rusty
73 TR6 Just sitting pretty