TR6 - rattling steering column

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - rattling steering column
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:36:56 -0400

Listers,

        Well, after more than 25 years, it seems that the bearings in my
        '72 TR6 are worn and need replacing. The steering column rattles
        over bumps and I can actually move it laterally about 1/4" each
        way. I called up Dave at TRF who said that it's not an easy job
        to replace it. It seems you need to take off the ignition key
        housing and need the correct size sleeves to put the new
        nyloc and other washers on the steering rod. Does anyone have
        experience doing this job? Is it real difficult? I lost alot
        of hair on my head over the past 2 years and don't want to
        lose any more!

        Thanks,
        Jeff N.