Re: insulating GT-6 trans cover (time consuming suggestion)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: insulating GT-6 trans cover (time consuming suggestion)
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:31:01 -0500

My method of insulation was time consuming but works well.

I used a new plastic trans cover for my GT-6.  On the underside of the cover I
applied expanding foam insulation (using the better part of 2 aerosol cans).  I
did several iterative quick fittings / foamings to determine the maximum
quantity of foam that I could apply.  Foam thickness varies from 0.5 to 1.5 in
thick.  I used various tools (utility knife, wood rasp, body filler file, key
hole saw, etc) to shape/smooth out the expanded foam.  Once the foam was shaped
with at least 0.5 in. clearance to the trans, I applied a layer of fiberglass
cloth and 2 coats of polyester resin to seal the insulation.  On the interior
side of the vehicle I filled in the void at the top of the trans cover (below
the radio location) with foam and then I applied a layer of the metalicised
bubble wrap insulation (available at many home improvement centers in the US)
using contact adhesive.

A final note:  the plastic trans cover did not fit well to the existing vehicle
holes (cover had warped as part of the molding/cooling process.  I spread the
cover to the desired shape  (using scraps of wood and screws) prior to applying
the polyester resin.  Once the resin hardens up, the cover becomes a very strong
part and would be much more difficult to flex into position to install, if the
resin hardened with out the spreading of the cover.