Restoring Rubber Bumpers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Restoring Rubber Bumpers
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:28:21 EST
Hi folks,

We are restoring an 80 Spitfire and the time has come to consider the rubber
bumpers (the all rubber front and back set). I know they are heavy and ugly
and an affront to proper British motoring, but, for many reasons,  I don't
want to replace them with the other kind. But, they are mashed on the
bumperette portion and mottled and scratched. The questions I have are:

How do I return the bumperettes to their original shape? Should I heat them?
I know there's a insert within them. Is it restorable?

What kind of paint is suitable for this material?

There are some deep scratches. Is there anything that will fill those and
what type of sanding is appropriate?

Any success stories anyone has would be appreciated. And thank you all in
advance for any help you can provide.

Tom Burke
80 Spitfire