Re: Lubricants, SO WHAT !This aint no Slick 50

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Lubricants, SO WHAT !This aint no Slick 50
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:38:08 -0600
Cc: "INTERNET:dkveuro@flash.net" <dkveuro@flash.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
SO WHAT!!?  Wadda yer mean, SO WHAT? OK. Here's a little pressure supply
101.....The oil pump is ONLY a oil supply device.The oil its self is a
lubricating and cooling medium .Some of us may remember engines that
dont have oil pumps! Ever mowed your grass? The mower engine you used
probably has no oil pump. Ehh? Right, and nor did many very high horse
power engines of yor or marine engines to day.They were equipped with
dippers attached to the connecting rod and picked up oil like a
locomotives do at high speed in a special trough just below the oil
level.These little suckers developed very high pressure and proved  oil
pumps are not mandatory.
HOWEVER.....due to the demands of modern autos, accelerative forces
disallow this in our cars.
Back to the obligatory pump.....Transfere to required sites, is its
primary job, but like a garden hose,full of holes, an old worn engine
shows low delivery pressure.This is not to say that an engine can only
survive on a diet of high pressure lub',no, due to viscosity and leak
away, the pump looses the pressure game, but even at low pressure the
volume is often equal to the task, and even at this point, pressures at
the bearing journals are still way  above pumpability levels.The oil is
being centrifuged to the rod bearing at many G's and the hydrostatic
wedge at the main journal(s) keeps journal from bearing. Phew!
Anyweather,like I said, bearing failure is a multifaceted failure, with
factors such as cavitation also playing a major role. Need to know any
more?  You might have to reseach your self, into the facinating world of
fluid dynamics and laminar flow science.
            DK.          DKV Euro.