Re: Brake cleaning questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake cleaning questions
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 08:48:02 -0600

>    My current plan, subject to revision, is to disassemble the
>cylinder to metal only.  Clean the fluid out of the inside and the crud
>off the outside by using a water based solvent in an ultrasonic
>cleaner.  Rinse well, blow off as much surface water as possible and
>bake to dry off the remainder.  Inspect the cylinder for wear and
>hone if necessary.   Re-clean to remove the honing residue.  Then
>re-assemble with new rubber parts.
>
>Thank you for comments.
>
>Roger Colson
>57 TR3  TS21383L
>sassamon@mediaone.net

Roger --

My only comment is that water and conventional hydraulic fluid
(fluif) combine to form a weak acid, which could be detrimental to
the health of your brake system over the long term -- even if you
rinse thoroughly afterward.

In fact, the greenish-white gunk you have to clean off the cylinders
now is (I think) the result of moisture in the air combining with the
fluif.

I personally would keep water far away from my brake parts.

As for what cleaner is best, I'm not 100% sure, but there are some
aerosol cans which say "brake parts cleaner".  This is what I have
used in the past on my various vehicles' brake systems.

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U. Runs & drives but blows smoke. Lots of it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Undergoing a frame-off restoration, begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html