Re: Personal Export Info (was Re: Looking at a '69 Spitfire)

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Personal Export Info (was Re: Looking at a '69 Spitfire)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:52:51 -0500 ()
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> Don't forget that TR's were also available in European countries for their
> citizens.  Those cars would also have had LHD and their specs, although
> somewhat different were not really that different from US specs at that time.

And that, Art, is one point that apparently I didn't make clearly enough
for some folks! :-(

>  (e.g. Lights and a few other things -- BTW my headlamps, for some strange
> reason, were European.  I found that out the first time I went to a US dealer
> for warranty work.)  Those European cars could have been shipped by their
> original owners or could have been sold used to an American who then shipped
> it.

That's not surprising at all, considering that you remained "over there"
for some time after picking up your car. I suspect that this was normally
the case (as you've seen from my post about my Herald, it was the case).
What I assume might have happened with a delivery such as the TSOA
European rallies of the 1950s and early 1960s was that Standard-Triumph,
having made all the other arrangements, also arranged for cars to be
"retrofitted" with correct lighting when those cars were shipped to the
States. But this wouldn't have been the case with a private party such as
you. Speculation, I grant you, but it would explain why my Herald also
still had some "English" lighting when I bought it in 1970, and why it
will be restored that way as well.

If anyone really cares about this last point, I know some folks I could
ask.

--Andy