Blown head gasket?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blown head gasket?
From: DShoop7572@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:33:29 EST
   Started the car the other day, heard a bad noise then car wouldn"t start.
Thought that was the end of driving for the year but gave it a few more
cranks. It fired up but didn't seem to have the same power, definitly sounded
different. I checked the oil thinking there might be water in the oil from a
blown gasket. Didn't see any bubbles in oil but the level was up and it
seemed to smell of gasoline. Oil pressure on the guage is down also. Is this
a blown head gasket or hopefully not something worse. I drove the car several
miles. It's about time to park it for the winter. Where do I start?

                                    Thanks
                                    Dave 67 TR4a