RE: No LBC content, just a hypothetical e-mail question - Lengthy respon

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: No LBC content, just a hypothetical e-mail question - Lengthy response
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:30:09 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
For your information..  I use Outlook, but other email software have the
same capabilities - you just have to find out how.

If you view options you can display the full internet headers.  In it there
are two bits of information that can be used to inform the ISP of the
spammer (not all have both, depends on spammer's connection to the internet)

1) The actual address of the person sending the item.  Regardless of what
return address the individual puts on the document this is the identifier
that the sending domain recognizes.

<mailto:F1AFF6FB553AD011AD9100AA00C2E96D1EF771@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx.com>

2) The reply address of the person sending the item.  Even if it has been
changed in properties or whatever, this is the address that is linked to the
"from" name.

Forward a copy of the offending email to postmaster@ or abuse@ (or both if
you don't know which will work) to the domains in those two lines as well as
the domain listed in the from address that is fictitious.  msn compuserve
aol etc etc don't want the bad press either so they will add their weight to
your complaint if you can point them in the right direction.   Indicate that
the email was unsolicited and unwanted and request that they do something
about the offending spammer.

Actual SPAM example: