Noises & squeals

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noises & squeals
From: Paul Mitchell <paul-m@mweb.co.za>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:18:16 +0200
Another attempt to save myself a lot of driving around listening and
trying to work out what's going on...

I have two funny noises (well, many more, but two that particularly
bother me). One is a high pitched mouse-ish squeak which is more or less
continual, especially at idle. It seems to come from roughly front
centre - transmission tunnel?

The second noise comes from the boot, and is best described as the sound
of a pile of coat hangers when I brake. Bit mystified on that one.

Another thing: when I turn fairly sharply, especially on a loose or
smooth surface, the tyres squeal, even if I am going at walking pace. Is
this perhaps a problem with the rear diff not working properly?

Also, which is better, Bentley or Haynes?

Thanks in advance

Paul
74 TR6