Re: tr6 radiator modifications

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tr6 radiator modifications
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:09:13 -0700
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> This winter I will finally replace the mechanical fan in my TR6 with an
> electrical one. <snip>  ....I have a spare
> thermo switch from a junked GTI.

ISTR that some VW sensors are 2-stage affairs to control 2-speed motors... in
any case I would think you'll probably want to know the temp spec (cut-in &
cut-out) for the sensor you choose (should be in the shop manual for the car).
I assume they would mount it at the bottom of the rad as that would be the temp
that mattered.

> ....I would also like to add a drain tap (like the early TR6
> rads had). Are there better drain taps than others?

I like the type on the TR3 where there is nothing to lose, just loosen the tap
and it flows (as opposed to the kind that have a plug you unscrew).  Look at
where the tap will be pointing while the rad is still in the car to give
yourself a reasonable chance of draining into a pan without spraying directly
against the frame or some obstruction.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A