RE: spit1500 trans help

To: <fred.outerleys@ns.sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: spit1500 trans help
From: "Jeff Burns" <jburn@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:14:46 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Spitheads" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, "Auto X Team Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Fred,
I'm not a trans expert, but what might possibly be making that noise is a
synchro itself. The way I understand it is that your first gear synchro will
have to spin faster than second gear's synchro, and so on. Therefore it's
more noticeable in first. I'm saying this assuming your engine is not
running. The synchro is trying to synch your trans input shaft to the speed
of your trans output shaft. Also, some real slick gear lube can help
synchros do their job, I use "Syncro Shift" by BG Products in Wichita KS in
my Jeep, it works great. Just for my info as well as yours, I'm copying this
to the Spitfire news group that I subscribe to. If there's an answer,
someone out there knows and most likely will respond.

Good Luck,
Jeff Burns
76 Spitfire FM 46763 UO
http://home1.gte.net/jburn/index.htm